TURN ON HAUNCHES, FOREHAND & 360 Spin
Horse is to maneuver in a circular pattern
- Hind quarters to remain as still as practical within the small square.
- Front legs "cross over" each other.
- Front end to remain as still or quiet as practical within the small square.
- Hind legs "cross over" each other.360 Spin -- Must execute properly, crossing front legs while pivoting on inside hind leg in square.
- Ride up parallel to gate and stand quietly, open gate in any manner, walk horse through opening, turn horse, side pass to close gate.
- Rider must keep hand on gate at all times.
- Rider to mount horse, grabbing rein and mane, landing softly in the saddle while horse stands absolutely still.
- Rider should dismount, maintaining control of reins while horse stands absolutely still.
BACK, L-BACK & SIDE PASS
-Rider should initially glance backwards to check direction and then remain balanced with eyes forward while backing horse slowly.
- Back horse slowly through obstacle with straightness, horse should not step on or out of timbers.
- Horse should straddle one timber and move laterally end-to-end in either direction.
Weave horse through trees at walk or trot, maintaining a steady rhythm without bumping trees.
Ride horse calmly uphill at a walk.
- Rider should be in an up and forward position, using a soft rein.
Horse must walk over the bridge.
- Horse may regard bridge for a moment and then proceed without hesitation.
Ride horse through simulated vines.
- Horse should be centered and proceed willingly at a walk without hesitation, side step, refusal or rushing.
- Horse should approach obstacle in a straight line and remain calm with a steady rhythm, stepping up and down.
SAFETY FIRST: RIDER SHOULD PASS ON THIS OBSTACLE IF NOT COMFORTABLE WITH A JUMP.
- Horse should approach obstacle in a straight line and remain calm, with a steady rhythm.
- Horse can step or jump over log.
Ride horse downhill at walk without rushing. Backing is not allowed.
Southern Kettle Moraine Horse Trail Association