Southern Kettle Moraine Horse Trail Association
1. BACK, L-BACK & SIDE PASS
-Rider should initially glance backwards to check direction and then remain balanced with eyes forward while backing horse slowly.
- Back horse slowly through obstacle with straightness, horse should not step on or out of timbers.
- Horse should straddle one timber and move laterally end-to-end in either direction.
2. COWBOY CURTAIN
Ride horse through simulated vines. Two different curtains. Ropes and plastic chains.
- Horse should be centered and proceed willingly at a walk without hesitation, side step, refusal or rushing.
3. UPHILL CLIMB
Ride horse calmly uphill at a walk.
- Rider should be in an up and forward position, using a soft rein.
4. BRIDGE CROSSING
Horse must walk over the bridge.
- Horse may regard bridge for a moment and then proceed without hesitation.
- Rider to mount horse, grabbing rein and mane, landing softly in the saddle while horse stands absolutely still.
- Rider should dismount, maintaining control of reins while horse stands absolutely still.
6. TREE WEAVE
Weave horse through trees at walk or trot, maintaining a steady rhythm without bumping trees.
7. TURN ON HAUNCHES, FOREHAND & 360 SPIN
Horse is to maneuver in a circular pattern
- Hind quarters to remain as still as practical within the small square.
- Front legs "cross over" each other.
- Front end to remain as still or quiet as practical within the small square.
- Hind legs "cross over" each other.
-Must execute properly, crossing front legs while pivoting on inside hind leg in square.
- Horse should approach obstacle in a straight line and remain calm with a steady rhythm, stepping up and down.
- Ride up parallel to gate and stand quietly, open gate in any manner, walk horse through opening, turn horse, side pass to close gate.
- Rider must keep hand on gate at all times.
TRACTOR TIRES (not on the map)
- Horse should approach obstacle in a straight line and remain calm with a steady rhythm, walking between the tires. For added difficulty try backing through the tires.